Friday, January 22, 2010

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl -Barry Lyga

This book, while at times hilarious, is also heartbreaking.
Fanboy, as he is referred to considering his undying love for all things COMIC BOOK, doesn't really fit in.  Think Cameron of Going Bovine, only without the disease and talented family.
In fact, Fanboy is more of a brainy guy, yet still on the outskirts.  He hates jocks, he has one friend, and most of the time he's either ignored or beaten up.
So Fanboy's life kinda sucks hard.
However, Fanboy is rather gifted.  He's got a graphic novel he's been working on for years, he convinced a teacher that the cause of the Great Depression was solely dependent on sea turtles, and there's a girl who noticed him.
Now, Fanboy mainly pays attention to those girls (o look @ me, im pretty and dumb lol u all luv me! ) that all the guys like in high school because let's face it, when it comes to girls, no matter how smart the guy is, he is ABSOLUTELY RETARDED in high school.

Seriously, this is practically a documented fact (I base this on the fact that guys had no interest in me in high school at all even though I was pretty cute.  Really, I was.  I was just 'different.' Also the high school guys in books I read always go for the stupid annoying fake blonde cheerleader type and it irritates me to no end).

Anyway, the girl who notices him is Kyra, aka Goth Girl.  Goth Girl has got this whole anger thing going on, and tries to get Fanboy to stick up for himself, and takes a very strong interest in his graphic novel, even though she's more of a Gaiman fan than a superhero fan, and because of that thinks she's on a higher level than Fanboy (I believe many people would feel this way).  She actually sees that he's got a special genius, however 'retarded high school drooling boy' he is.

And so they become friends, in a weird way.  And then hate each other, because they're in high school, and well, you know.

And Fanboy reveals his dream of showing Comic Book Great Bendis at the comic book convention, and then he will immediately see how genius Fanboy is and get him a publishing deal.

Any of you who are familiar with this type of convention will probably see the flaw in his plan.

And then Fanboy realizes something very, very important.

"I thought high school was the end of it, the end of the bullshit cliques and the groups and the kewl kids.  But it's not.  It's just the beginning.  It's just the beginning and it only gets worse from here.  College won't be any better and after college won't be any better and I might as well finish it.  Finish it now.  There's no point.  I'll always be a loser.  I'll never have friends, real friends, friends I can keep.  No one will ever care.  My mother will have her baby and my father will ger married someday and it'll be like I was never here, and that's better for them all, it's better for them that I go now, that I leave now, it's easier that way because I'll never be anything and I'll never be anyone and I'll always be a virgin and I'll never kiss a girl even and who can blame them, I'm just a skinny, ugly freak and I don't blame them, I don't blame a single one of them."

(As I write this, my husband happens to be watching a movie about dumb high schoolers who are pretty much the idiot high school type who trick really stupid girls into flashing them, and I feel this is very significant, because they all would have hated poor Fanboy and Goth Girl, yet this is what people find entertaining because they relate to dumb people [no offense Mike, I know you're smarter than them]).

So there you have it.  Fanboy loses faith in the world and himself.

But then, he learns some things.  Things only an angry Goth Girl who screams at and flashes Comic Book Greats because they don't see Fanboy's genius can teach him.

She teaches him a lot, but after their friendship is all messed up, can he tell her anything anymore?

At this point I will mention that Barry Lyga has written a sequel, Goth Girl Rising, which will also be reviewed at some point, but please keep in mind that there's a lot of stuff I need to read and review.

Nobody really likes being a stereotype.  At first, I thought, 'hmm, maybe I should avoid stereotypes' but this book really shows the people behind the stereotypes, not just the nerds and goths, but the jocks, too.

I would highly recommend that everyone I ever went to school with, no matter which level of school it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment