Saturday, April 3, 2010

My apologies

I'm sorry, but I have not been reading much lately, because I was inspired by the failure of this little Japanese girl.
Yes, you know the one, she got radiation sickness and died, and a lot of people were really sad about it and sometimes just telling people about it makes them sad.
Because honestly, it is sad when little girls die of radiation sickness.  There's just no getting around that fact.
However, before little Sadako died horribly, she was trying to fold 1000 paper cranes, but she only got up to 644.  This is unfortunate because when you fold 1000 paper cranes, you get a wish.  Good luck.  Health.  Etc.
And apparently, the Noble Crane does not hand out consolation prizes for a 'real good effort.'
So now I'm about to tell the Noble Crane what for.  I am going to fold 1000 of those paper birds, and then I'm going to do ONE more.  And then I'll probably fold some dragons and phoenixes because they could probably singlehandedly beat up all 1001 of those cranes.  And a unicorn too, because unicorns like little girls (perhaps Sadako should have folded 1000 paper unicorns instead?).
Anyhow, I have hundreds of these little origami cranes in boxes, and they have pretty little patterns and it looks like nice big boxes of pretty little patterned insanity.
But if you have not read about Sadako, then you should.  The hardback copy featured is the one I remember because it has the little girl on the cover, and I think little Asian girls are the Most Adorable Things in the Entire World.  But yes, there are paperback copies too.  And this other book about a statue honoring Sadako and the other kids who died from radiation sickness: One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue
Or if you want to show the Noble Crane what for too, here's a pack of paper. It's only 49 sheets, but it'll get you started.

No comments:

Post a Comment