Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Sweet Far Thing- Libba Bray

Yes, there is yet another fabulous corset on the cover of this book. I feel a bit jealous of Victoria women's posture now.

Yes, the final Gemma Doyle book is rather long, but it's worth it, I swear!
In this volume, Gemma is still trying to sort out the magic of the realms while becoming a young Victorian woman. She still has her two friends, Felicity and Ann, while beautiful Pippa remains only in the realms.

Her father is still an addict, her mother is still dead, and the girls are almost ready for their 'debut,' which is a weird Victorian tradition in which a young rich teenage girl is dressed up and presented to the Queen and at which point is supposedly a proper young woman ready for marriage.

Of course, Gemma and her friends aren't quite sure they're into this marriage thing.
Gemma, of course, still harbors attraction for Kartik, who she clearly is not supposed to marry according to society, and Ann loves singing so much she wants to do that, even though she's plain (Victorian for 'ugly,' poor thing). Felicity it turns out isn't really into men  . . . especially the type she's supposed to marry, and really considers herself to be more of a masculine character (Victorian for 'likes to lead and boss people around').

So amid all that crap (because honestly, I'm glad we don't have to deal with Victoria nonsense in this day and age), they're still trying to find the mysterious temple, restore a balance, and figure out what to do about these dead people they keep visiting.

The final volume is a story of sacrifice and trying to make a place for yourself.  It ends on a  . . . oh wait! I can't say anything about the ending!  That would be a spolier!

But I will say this:  you will miss Gemma Doyle once you finish.  I promise.


1 comment:

  1. It is taking me so long to get through this book! I really don't know why either - I read the first two rather quickly, and I enjoy the series as a whole. Think it might be cause the book is so big I am reluctant to carry it around in my bag. So far enjoying it, though I do despise some of the characters (Pippa for example, drives me mad).

    ReplyDelete