Monday, April 4, 2011

The Iron King- Julie Kagawa


Yes!  I finally jumped on the IRON FEY bandwagon! 

I finished this delightful first novel last night after meaning to read it for, erm, over a year.  But now I'm in, so I get why everyone loves this series.

The Iron King is about a misfit high school girl named Meghan Chase.  She's your typical 'I don't fit in and no one likes me' girl and finds herself ridiculed at school and ignored by her stepfather at home.  She does, however, have a sweet little brother who is quite fond of her and a prankster friend named Robbie who lives down the road.

It's these two people who lead her to the Fey lands.  A changeling is put in place of her little brother, Ethan and she is determined to get him back.  So Robbie, who we find out is actually a classic fey character, takes her to the Fey lands to find him and bring him back.

This book kind of reminded me of lots of other stories.  Since I just watched  Labyrinth, I was reminded of that, since the main character goes to the land of goblins to get her baby brother back.  The difference between these characters is that Meghan actually LIKES her little brother and never wanted him to leave in the first place, whereas Sarah actually asked to have hers taken away.

I was also reminded of  Wondrous Strange, since there are some of the same fey characters and Kelley's relationship to these characters is similar to Meghan's.  In addition, I could see anime, steampunk, and classical fantasy elements in the story. Oh, and there's a little confused teenage romance-don't want to leave that out.

What I really liked was the actual Iron Fey.  This was pretty unique; the fey are made up of bits of technology; little metallic bugs scuttling around, piles and piles of old VCRs and tapes lying about, a king who was made of metal.  Now, iron is poison to most fey, so this is not good for those old dryads and piskies.
Altogether, what made this book so awesome was the way Kagawa took her inspiration from seemingly EVERYWHERE, yet still made an original and gripping story out of it.  Just like the Nevernever has bits of old technology lscattered about, Kagawa's ispiration is seemingly everywhere at once and you never know what you'll stumble upon next.  I am definitely looking forward to more of these books.



No comments:

Post a Comment