Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer- Lish McBride

Now that I have read this awesome book, I think to myself, "why did I not read you earlier, Hold Me Closer, Necromancer?  You're so full of awesome!"

But the truth is, I didn't know HOW MUCH awesome was in this book.

I started out reading Necromancer: A Novella, which is a free e-book containing the first two chapters and a short story involving one of the characters. And I thought to myself, 'hmm, this sounds promising.  I think I shall read the entire book now."

So that is what I did.

Sherman Alexie thought this book was scary funny, and I think he is accurate in his summation of the book.  You shall laugh, but there are also zombies and death and stuff which are not so funny but kind of scary.  If you're scared of that type of thing, that is.

There are also all sorts of other fun  mythical creatures, such as gnomes, cats who talk, ghosts, werewolves, fey hounds, witches, and talking heads.

Oh, and necromancers, of course.  There's this one jerk off necromancer named Douglas, and then Sam, the Main Character, finds out he himself is also a necromancer, and this becomes a cause of contention.  You see, Douglas is one of those people who doesn't like other people with power and likes to hog it to himself.  So he doesn't like Sam.

Sam also comes complete with a cast of funtastic friends, such as Ramon, Frank, and Brooke.  And his family, of course. Not to mention the old woman in the apartment next door who drives a bangin' hot Mustang.

So Lish McBride took all these characters and threw them in Seattle, mixed them up, and came out with a piece of brilliance. I don't know how she did it.  She is truly amazing.

There is quite a lot of action.  There is also romance.  There is also Evil.  And let's not forget the potatoes in tail lights.

Each chapter is titled with song lyrics and the ending leaves you wanting more.  Today I was thinking, "hmm, what happens to . . ." or, "I hope that  . . . comes back," or, "She better be writing a sequel, dammit!"

So please, Lish McBride, if you are reading this, will you please write a sequel?

Try it for yourself for free here:

1 comment:

  1. Your book reviews are awesome! I really enjoy reading them! :)

    ReplyDelete