Thursday, September 22, 2011

Forever- Maggie Stiefvater

Blogger is currently being stupid, so there are no pretty pictorial links.
However, this is a link to Forever on Amazon.
In case you were wondering, Forever is the third and final volume of the Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater.
I previously reviewed book one, Shiver ,and book two, Linger
I have decided that my favorite of the series is Linger.
When I met Maggie Stiefvater, she discussed the first draft of Forever and a pretty gruesome scene that didn't make it to the final version.  Apparently she decided to make drastic changes to the final book. 
The problem is that I really liked that gruesome scene.  So I was a bit disappointed with the final copy.
That is not to say that it wasn't good, because it was still a good story.  There was good character development, plenty of characters to hate on, a sense of hopelessness, romance, confused teenagers, and all that good stuff.
But for some reason I always want it to end badly.  I blame this on Philip Pullman.
See, since Pullman had two characters fall in love and then realize that they can never ever see each other ever again or the world will end, it just seems like it's too easy for the characters in love to be together in the end.  I mean, that's not how it always happens!  Sometimes people die and it sucks hardcore and you can't do anything about it.  That is something that happens in real life, and I get kind of tired of all these YA romances ending happily.
Forever did have one thing that made it a bit different.  The ending was open-ended (is that redundant?), so you don't know for sure it'll be happily ever after.  All you know is that the characters are alive, whether or not they're wolves or humans.
This final volume continued the narration of four characters as was in Linger.  We still have not only Grace and Sam, but Cole and Isabel too.  While Cole is someone I would probably dislike in real life, he's interesting to read.  Sometimes I forgot who was narrating, but I could pick it out within a few sentences in most cases.  I don't feel like I count against it for that; having four narrators is tough unless you use some sort of font or style trick to make them more different, like in Will Grayson,Will Grayson. This was a case of one Will Grayson written normally, while the other Will Grayson didn't capitalize.  Easy to tell apart.
Oh wait!  I forgot to reveal the plot!  See, in the final volume, Isabel's douchebag father wants to kill all the wolves.  Cole, in the meantime, is doing medical experiments on himself and the other wolves to try to figure out how to cure it and/or stimulate the shift.  Grace is 'missing,' Sam gets questioned by the police a lot, and Grace's parents get a cat. The cat isn't an important character, however.  I just like them.
Throw in some angst, death, and theft, and you've got Forever!
If you didn't like the first two, you probably would not like the final volume.  But if you did, then you probably would.  And I think that's about as well as I can describe it without spoilers.

3 comments:

  1. so, what happens at the end???!!!! do sam and grace be together??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's hard to say . . . it was kind of open-ended . . maybe you should ask Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie has crafted a fantastic series with The Wolves of Mercy Falls and you'd be crazy not to get your hands on these amazing books. You will be hooked to the very last page.
    View this site for Indianapolis Web Design Website

    ReplyDelete