Monday, November 28, 2011

Withering Tights- Louise Rennison


 I was looking forward to this one after reading The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, but I didn't think it was as funny.  It had some good parts, but it wasn't the type of book that has you in hysterics.  I think what I like most about Rennison's books are the slang- for some reason weird slang really amuses me.  I thought Tallulah, being Georgia's cousin, was pretty similar in a lot of ways but not quite as outrageous.  She was like a toned down version.  Her friends also weren't as ridiculous as Georgia's; they seemed pretty normal and she never made fun of them like Georgia is constantly doing. While Georgia would go crazy and change her mind about something at a moment's notice, Tallulah was more steadfast in her ways.  Altogether, she was a more mature character, but that kind of made the book less interesting.

The setting was very different from Georgia Nicolson's world- Tallulah is doing a performance art program in Yorkshire, where there is pretty much nothing. Well, there's a pub, of course, as this IS England, but that's about it.

Tallulah was also obsessed with boys, a little less obsessed with makeup, didn't break as many rules, and just couldn't figure out why she started doing Irish dancing whenever her mind went blank.  She was very obsessed  with her knees and lack of corkers and came across as misunderstood.  And she adored her older cousin Georgia, who gave her a fake mustache which she did in the end find a use for.

Withering Tights was more of a 'I stumbled into a performing arts school and oh look I found out my unique talent' type of story, whereas with Georgia, well, she pretty much lived in a fantasy land.

1 comment:

  1. I'm such a huge fan of the Georgia Nicolson series. They're absolutely fabulous, so I had pretty high expectations for Withering Tights. Withering Tights did not let me down, although it didn't start off as good as I expected. I'm going to try not to compare this series to the Georgia Nicolson series, but it'll be a little hard.

    ReplyDelete